A Special Opportunity for Transgender Marylanders and Health and Human Services Providers
Transgender Health Forums: A Meeting of the Minds
Consumer Forum - July 28, 2007: 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Provider Forum - August 7, 2007: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Consumer/Provider Forum - August 24, 2007: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
University of Baltimore
William H. Thumel Sr. Business Center
11 W. Mount Royal Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Transgender communities continue to face significant barriers accessing and utilizing health and human services in Maryland. Stigma attached to gender non-conformity shapes and maintains many of these barriers. Without access to culturally competent health and human services, many transgender individuals experience homelessness, poverty, and increased risk for HIV/STD-infection and other health risks. A comprehensive and coordinated strategy is needed to address gaps and limitations in services to transgender people. The Transgender Health Forums are designed to begin this dialogue between transgender communities and health and human services providers.
* Identify current service availability, needs and gaps
* Engage community stakeholders as partners in designing and implementing solutions to address current needs
* Facilitate access to resources and encourage power sharing between transgender consumers and service providers
* Identify opportunities for networking and longer term collaborative partnerships
* Informational Update from the Maryland AIDS Administration
* Opportunity to participate in a Needs Assessment for Transgender Consumers
* Opportunity to participate in a Gap Analysis for Service Providers
* Forum discussion and small group work
* Feedback session
* Food and refreshments
Maryland AIDS Administration (Contact: Jean-Michel Brevelle, Tel: 410.767.5016)
Gay Family Foundation (Contact: Valerie Febres, Tel: 410.209.2412)
REGISTRATION | INFORMATION:
A meeting announcement and Registration Form are available by calling or sending email to the contact listed below. There is no cost to participate, but you must register.
For more information or to register by phone or email, please contact Valerie Febres at Gay Family Foundation.